Monday, April 2, 2012

I didn't want to go to the McDonald's but I knew there won't be much of a choice when it came to the food malls on the Mumbai-Pune expressway. I am not a big fan of the South Indian food nor does the idea of devouring parathas accompanied by chhole or rajma for lunch sounds appealing. So I had resigned myself to the fate when the driver of our rental car turned off the expressway after seeing the giant M. Something, however, was wrong. There was a barrier put across the parking lot. 'The place is closed' a person informed us as he started his 2-wheeler. What? McDonald's is closed? For what? Are there any riots in the city? 'Oh yes, I almost forgot. The whole Raigad region has declared a bandh today to protest the theft of the golden Ganesha idol at Diveaagar." the driver exclaimed. "Do you mean to say we will not find anything to eat till we reach Pune?' I asked, panic-stricken. 'No, no, Lonavala doesn't fall in the region. Restaurants will be open there' he assured me. So much so for my knowledge of Maharashtra's geography. Some Maharashtrian I am!

"I don't understand this. How on earth do these people have golden idols and then expect them to remain safe in this day and age?" I fumed. 'That idol was found, madam' the driver added helpfully. 'Yeah, I know. In a field. I read it in the newspaper. Doesn't that make it the property of the archaeological department of India? Moreover, the report said that the temple authorities didn't implement the suggestions for the security." I countered. The driver, of course, chose not to reply. What could he have said? This is a strange land. We believe in having idols made of precious metals, deck them up with more precious jewelery and then forget to beef up the security - maybe we don't want to spend, maybe we believe that no one will dare to steal from the temple or just maybe, we believe that the God will take care of Himself.

We have been proven wrong - and not for the first time either. But will we wisen up? I don't think so. May God help us all - and Himself!

No comments: