Saturday, March 17, 2012

I guess it was one of those "Where were you when....." moments. I got an SMS from a friend wondering whether Sachin will do it this time. Frankly speaking, unlike many of my fellow countrymen I wasn't so obsessed over this century of centuries business. If he does it, great! If he doesn't do it, well, let's get on with our lives. Plus I was battling a nasty attack of cold at home while still trying to get some work done. Sachin's 100 would have been the last thing on my mind.

But my friend's SMS did make me check the score. Sachin was batting at 87. Lousy 13 runs. I got back to work but my eyes kept darting back to the cell phone screen. There was silence for some time. I didn't dare check the score but the silence was disturbing. 'It's just a game, stupid' wasn't much of a comforting thought. I swooped down on the phone even before the SMS ring had died down. '98.....and counting' said my friend. Now, I kept my fingers crossed. The work was all but forgotten. After a few tense moments, the phone rang again 'Yes.....he does it' said my friend, simply. I ran to the TV and switched it on. :-) Some of the channels had caught up with the news whereas some others were still droning on about the budget. I will always remember a caption on one of the channels 'Sachin ends weight for Indians'. :-)

So where were you when Sachin scored his 100th 100?

No comments: