Monday, October 25, 2010

Sidin Vadukut's latest Cubiclenama reminded me of an incident during the last days of my MBA program. The campus recruitment was almost over. Most of us had jobs. A good friend of mine was torn between 2 offers that he had received - both from well-known IT companies. For 2 days he discussed the issue threadbare with me and another common friend. We were unable to have our breakfasts, lunches and dinners in peace. :-) A classic case of what is called, in MBA parlance, "Analysis Paralysis"!

Finally, one evening I decided that I had had enough. We had just seated ourselves in the dining hall when he restarted the discussion. I waited till he finished and asked him if he planned to retire from the company that he finally joined. He was taken aback at the question so I repeated it for him.

He commented that that was not the point. I said that that was exactly the point and asked him to answer my question. He said that it was unthinkable to stick around for more than 3-4 years or so. 'There you go' I said - 'Just think which company will be better from that perspective and you know which offer letter you have to sign.'

If I am not wrong, he moved from that company before 3 years were past and went back to the one where he was working at before coming to the B school. :-)

No comments: