Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Have A Little Faith – by Mitch Albom

Someone needs to recommend this book to Osama, LeT, Jaish-e-Mohammad and a dozen other assorted terrorist organizations that regularly feature in History Channel’s “International Terrorism since 1945” – as a compulsory bedtime reading!

It’s not a story and yet, it’s a story. It’s not a story because it doesn’t have any beginning or end like a typical story. Yet, it is a story of a Rabbi and Priest and a guy who learns that all faiths lead to the same God. I liked this part. It was a soothing balm to the soul that is jaded and worn out reading about people killing each other in the name of religion and God.

But this novel is somewhat naïve too. I wonder how a grown-up man who claims to be a Citizen of the World can think that to accept other peoples’ different faith is to betray his own. And I wonder why he needs to ask his Rabbi what reply he should give when someone says to him “God Bless You!”

If I fold my hands in front of Jesus, will He fail to understand that I am paying my respects?

If I say “Inshallah” to hope that something good will happen, does that make me less of a Hindu?

When in a few days from nowI will roam about my neighborhood looking for the nativity scenes, will I be betraying my Hindu faith?

The answer is a resounding “NO” and I don’t even claim to be a Citizen of the World. So I felt like yelling “Grow up Mitch!”

That said, I will purchase this book someday soon. Because at the rate humanity is going about killing each other, I am sure we all will need it handy – even if to give us a false hope that these people will one day see the light :-(

No comments: