Monday, June 22, 2009

I read about Krishna Patil and felt proud and amused at the same time - proud because a fellow Indian woman has reached the top of the world. And amused because I wondered why anyone would want to attempt to summit the mountain that has claimed so many lives.

But I saw Chomolungma for the first time today on NatGeo (Everest - Farther than the eye can see) and I realized what must be driving these mountaineers to it. The title of the program was appropriate because it was about the first blind man to summit the mountain. Seems impossible, isn't it? But he did it alright and when they showed the members at the Base Camp erupt into applause on getting the news I felt happy too.

The program said that he is the only blind man to achieve this feat. I don't know when this program was made and if this record stands unbroken.

I wonder, however, if it is possible for mere mortals like me - who have had no training whatsoever in mountaineering - to at least take a look at the Mother Goddess of Earth from the safety of the base camp.I would just like to pay my respects!

No comments: