Friday, April 3, 2009

The Charlemagne Pursuit

I have always been a sucker for fictions on ancient mysteries and long-lost treasures. So when the backcover informed me that the book is about the Nazis’ search for a long-forgotten “first civilization” in an attempt to link it to their fabled Aryan ancestors, I knew I would have gladly wrestled any other person who wanted to get the same book issued. :-) I am talking about Steve Berry’s “The Charlemagne Pursuit”!

Ex–Justice Department agent Cotton Malone has wondered about his father’s death for 38 years. Things don’t get any easier when he learns that Captain Forrest Malone didn’t die in a nuclear sub accident in the North Atlantic as stated by the US Navy but actually perished while on a secret submarine mission to the Antarctic. Christl and Dorothea are on the same quest because their father was one of the 9-10 people who died along with Cotton’s dad. The unlikely allies embark on the journey to the frozen continent – aided by ancient manuscripts found in Charlemagne’s grave - where they stumble upon as secret that could change the history of the mankind for sure. At the background, is Admiral Langford Ramsey who is nursing his ambition of becoming the next Joint Chief of Staff.

Much as I enjoyed the novel, I must confess that the first few pages got confusing for a while – especially when I resumed reading after a gap of 2-3 days – as the plot kept going back and forth between different locations. I also wondered why the author marked the beginnings of many chapters with timelines – after all, the story doesn’t happen across a day or two. There were a couple of mistakes like “ring a neck” instead of “wring a neck” – which I think are quite unpardonable.

But despite that, this is a nice book to curl up with!

P.S. If you are a lover of ancient mysteries, do look up “The Piri Reis map” on the net. While you are at it, you might also find information on “Nine Mens Morris Game" pretty interesting.

No comments: