Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Order of the Phoenix - Spoiler

My score is now 5/7. For those of you who came late, I am referring to the Harry Potter series. So the cryptic statement above means that I am done reading the 5th novel – The Order of the Phoenix.

And I am very angry with Rowling. Why did she have to kill Sirius Black? I remember admiring this character even when I had read the novel back in 2003. There’s something so noble about breaking out of the prison – knowing fully well that the dementors will give him death for it – because you are worried about your Godson. Then there is the fact that he endured more suffering than Harry because Harry was too little to feel the discrimination meted out to him by the Dursleys for, maybe, the first 2-3 years of his life whereas Black was incarcerated in Azkaban almost immediately after Harry’s parents were killed. Neither did he have it easy when he got out.

The final tragedy is that he died just when the Ministery of Magic realized their folly in suspecting him for so many years. He came so close to his dream of staying with the child of his best friend and then he disappeared behind the veil. Like Harry, my own grief lessened to a certain degree when Luna said that the ones who have passed away are still behind the veil!

No comments: