Friday, December 19, 2008

Silent Warnings

A couple of days back I watched a movie on one of the English movie channels. It was one of the run-of-the-mill “teenagers on a holiday in trouble” movies. Like most of the movies I watch these days, I came on board a couple of minutes after the flight took off. Not that you miss much in such movies even if you check in an hour late.

But I was curious nevertheless, so I browsed imdb.com for the movie review. At first I couldn’t find it. I wondered if I was the only person on earth to have seen it. Kind of creepy, isn’t it? Then I figured out that maybe I had got the title wrong. So I searched for actor Billy Zane who was about the only person, apart from Stephen Baldwin, that I could recognize in the movie. And I got it! The movie title was “Silent Warnings” and I had been searching earlier for just “Warnings”.

The storyline isn’t something to write home about. 4-5 teenagers join their friend on his visit to the country farm and home that he has inherited after his cousin’s accidental death. The group notices that the entire house is covered in iron and the fields have mysterious circles in them. More crop circles appear and people start disappearing but even the Sheriff is clueless. In a nutshell, this is a watered down version (country cousin!) of Shyamlan’s “Signs”. :-)

According to imdb.com, this movie was shot in and around Sofia, Bulgaria in 12 days at the puny budget of one million USD. Baldwin (Cousin Joe) has a “blink and you miss him” kind of role and I wondered if there was any sane reason for Billy Zane (Sheriff Willingham) accepting this movie.

In short, if you are looking for some no-brainer (aren’t they all?) where aliens make a guest appearance at the end, then “Silent Warnings” is the movie for you :-)

No comments: