Thursday, November 20, 2008

I have sometimes written on this blog about my inexplicable attraction about all things Russian :-) So I was curious when a supplement titled “Russia and India Report” tumbled out of the Economic Times yesterday morning. Of course, much of it was boring stuff about the business relations between the two countries and investment opportunitiesin Russia.

But I noticed a picture of a woman along with that of Vishvanathan Anand on the back page with the heading “The Global Chess Stalwarts”. Intrigued, I started reading the article about the youngest female grand master and winner of the 2008 women’s chess championship – Alexandra Kosteniuk (pet name Sasha).

It was amazing how she built up her career despite not being born with the proverbial “silver spoon”. But what will remain forever etched in my mind is the end of the article. I quote here:

“When asked about her favorite chess piece, Sasha always says the pawn. Although small and insignificant at the beginning of the game, it can rise to be the queen towards the end. It sometimes happens in life, too.” :-)

No comments: