Saturday, September 20, 2008

Every year as the day of the Ganesha Immersion (Visarjan) draws near I am reminded of a song that is never played in any of the pandals or processions. That’s because it’s a sad song – a sort of a tearful grievance to the Almighty, almost an accusation that He who sees all somehow missed out on the sorrow of one of his devotees. This song is from the movie “Dard Ka Rishta” which starred Sunil Datt and Khushbu who then was a child star. The pain and anguish of a father who is on the verge of losing his child to cancer is plain in the words:

Mere man mandir me tum bhagwan rahe
Mere dukh se tum kaise anjaan rahe
Mere ghar me kitne din mehmaan rahe
Mere dukh se tum kaise anjaan rahe

(My mind is your temple, how it is then that you are ignorant of my grief?
You stayed in my home for many days, how it is then that you are ignorant of my grief?)

No comments: