Monday, September 8, 2008

Correct me if I am wrong but aren’t advertisements meant to make the consumers want to buy the product? Why is it then that some of them end up strengthening your resolve not to go for it even if offered for free? There is not just a single case in question – but two of them.

The first one is the Tata Sky ad featuring Aamir Khan acting as husband and wife both on their wedding night arguing about whether to go for Tata or Sky for their cable needs. The husband plays along his wife for a while before he tells her that they are the same thing. Pardon me if I have not got the plot straight because every time the ad is aired I curse the “creative brain” who conceived and executed this mediocre ad.

Aamir’s makeup for the role of the wife is so tacky that he practically ends up looking like an enunch. We all know he is a versatile actor but it's too much to make him play both the parts as if it was a “buy one get one free offer” just to emphasize that Tata and Sky are one and the same. I think if they had invested in a lady model instead the plot would have worked out okay except for the hugging and groaning at the end. I am not a purist but I believe everything has a place and this plot didn’t call for it.

If this is their idea of life going “zingalala” I am better off without it ;-)

No comments: