Thursday, August 14, 2008

It’s that time of the year again to send “Maa tuze salaam”, “Mera Bharat Mahan” and “Rang de basanti cholaa” SMSs. :-) Over the years I have gone through a rainbow of emotions – as a kid I watched the parades and flag unfurling ceremony with immense pride and joy, as a teenager sniggered at the clichéd songs like “Mere desh ki dharati”, “Hai preet jaha ki reet sada” and “Jaha daal daal par soneki chidiya karati hai basera” that used to be blared from the loudspeakers throughout that day, as a young busy professional enjoyed the day away from office just lolling about and now - now life has come full circle. I am back to being the kid who watches the Tricolor unfurling with joy and pride – just that these feelings are now tinged with a concern about this country called India which is my Motherland.

Terrorists are slaughtering innocent people to attain God knows what goals. And the malady that has been plaguing us since we got independence – communal tension – refuses to die down. As if that’s not enough some states are at times at loggerheads with each other. When I read such news I am filled with dread – will we break up like the USSR? Is that what destiny has in store for India?

Then I turn the page and invariably I come across some other news – the kind that always gets tucked in the inner pages of the newspaper. I read that the Teach India campaign launched by the Times of India to teach children has met with such overwhelming response from Indians from all walks of life – homemakers, lawyers, businessmen, doctors, retired people – that they have asked some of these volunteers to stand by while they arrange to boost up the capacity of the participating NGOs. I read about young people who are doing what they can to better the lot of others born less fortunate.

I wasn’t among those who danced in the streets 61 years ago as we got our independence. I probably might not be around when we celebrate 100 years of independence. I am caught somewhere in the twilight zone.

When I look back I see those who made the ultimate sacrifice that a human can - of his/her life. This post is to salute those who died to get us this freedom.

When I look around I see moments of frustration but I see moments of hope too. This post is also to salute those who are working hard to build a better future for our country. And that includes those guarding the borders - our Armed Forces.

I can’t look into the future but somewhere there I hope is future India which is full of peace and happy smiling faces. I don’t care whether we become the superpower or not. I agree with the King of Bhutan – Gross National Happiness is the thing worth striving for. I hope India tops the world on this chart.

This, my dear country, is my wish and prayer for you on this Independence Day because as Juhi Chawla says in the Kurkure ad - “Tedha hai par mera hai” :-)

No comments: