Monday, November 5, 2007

I finished reading Frederick Forsyth’s “Double Deal” and the emphasis in this sentence is on the word “finished”. The thought that “since I have started this book I must finish it” was what drove me to read up to the last page. I have read Forsyth’s “The Odessa file” as well as “Day of the Jackal” and loved both books. But I could not deal with “Double Deal”! :-))

It started on an inauspicious note anyways. I started reading it and then got very busy so there was a gap of good 5-6 days before I finally picked it up again. By then I had forgotten the plot and the names of the leading characters. Add to that the different kinds of German designations in SS along with a heavy dose of Sergeants, Lieutenants and Majors and I was totally lost.

Though the book wasn’t directly about the human suffering brought about by Hitler I kept thinking about the saying that goes something like - All that is needed for evil to become powerful is for good men to do NOTHING!

Are all the good men doing all that they can now so that the evil doesn't rise again?

No comments: