Monday, September 17, 2007

A true love story

This one made me do a double take. I wouldn’t have believed it possible hadn’t I read about it myself in the paper.

It took place in Kozikode in Indian state of Kerala. The lead characters – a hindu girl and a muslim boy. They fell in love but of course marriage was out of question. Both refused to marry anyone else. Then at the age of 34 the guy died in an accident.

This real life story takes a twist here from the predictable end – the guy’s mother met the girl and asked her to start living with them so she could treat her like a daughter-in-law. The girl accepted this. The mother also gave her full responsibility of the school that her son was looking after. The girl has been taking care of it ever since – she is in her 60s now.

What’s more, when the guy was alive they had met only once - their love survived and flourished through letters and letters alone.

I was stunned when I read this. If this is not true love I don’t know what is.

No comments: