Sunday, September 23, 2007

Science versus Religion

My earlier post might make me seem like an atheist. But I am not. I believe in God but that doesn't mean I dont believe in scientific explanations for phenomenons that might be considered as miracles. I remember a few years back in India there was this instance of all the Ganesha idols suddenly drinking the milk served as offering. People went crazy and all the temples got crowded with people bent on offering their share of the milk to the deity. But I didnt go. And I think the scientific explanations that were later offered completely explained the phenomenon.

Hence I eagerly read another angle explored in Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons" - science versus religion. I dont think that if we can explain the miracles in a scientific way that in any way proves that God doesn't exist. He does exist - only that he brings about his miracles in a much more subtle way.

God does show His hand when people risk their lives to save strangers, when people give up their well-cushioned jobs to help less fortunate ones,when people fight adversity in life with sheer will-power and when people go out of their way to make life a teeny bit easier for others.

If these aren't miracles I confess I don't know what a miracle is!

No comments: