Sunday, June 26, 2016

The Conjuring 2 (Spoiler Alert!)

The sequels are rarely as interesting as the original offering. But the 8+ rating on imdb.com gave me enough hope to troupe to the nearest theater braving rains and clogged roads. And I am glad that I did.

The movie apparently is based on the actual paranormal investigation that Ed and Lorraine Warren conducted at a house in Enfield, UK in 1977. I must say I was more spooked by the gloomy British weather and the gloomier old house that the Hodsons occupied than by the actual spirits. There was a scene or two in which I swallowed my pride and shut my eyes tightly. Like for example, the scene where the younger daughter can hear something coming up the stairs and lies huddled inside her comforter, scared out of her wits. And when Lorraine goes hunting for the demon and cannot tell whether what she is seeing is a painting made by her husband or the demon himself. I experienced what can only be called Sheer Fright :-)

But the movie did leave a couple of unanswered questions for me. Whose teeth does Ed find in the basement when he goes there to fix the washing machine for Peggy? How does the demon end up in the Hodsons' house? Why does he tell his name to Lorraine? And why does he want the Hodsons' daughter and Ed both dead?

Hats off to the team for making the sequel scarier than the original! 

No comments: