Friday, January 23, 2009

I am not going to watch Slumdog Millionaire – because I don’t like the idea of a foreigner coming to India to make a film on the slums here! Nope, I am not trying to sweep the problem under the carpet. I agree that we have a problem and the authorirties are doing precious little to solve it. Sometimes I एवें wonder if there’s any solution to it because the causes are so many – votebank politics, illegal immigrants, lure of the city life and little or no opportunities to earn livelihood in the villages – to cite just a few of them।

But my point is that every country on the face of this earth has a dark side। There is something not right about using problems in foreign countries to make films and mint money – even if you set up funds to try to solve these problems. The idea of a foreigner doing this sounds something like a stranger beaming an unkempt room of my home on primetime television!

Having said this, I am glad that AR Rehman and Gulzar have bagged Oscar nominations for this movie. I must admit though that I didn’t much like “Jay Ho” when I heard it on FM yesterday evening. My best wishes to them!

No comments: