Saturday, March 28, 2009

Never travel as a tourist

I was reading up the “Wanderlust” column in Economic Times’s yesterday's edition of Corporate Dossier. In answer to the last question on Traveller Tips, Neville Tuli had the following to say:

Treat each place like home, never travel as a tourist, and love each corner, we belong everywhere.”

I sat wondering. Have I ever traveled not as a tourist? Maybe, never! Take for instance my trip to Ooty last year. I fell in love with the Nilgiris and I don’t think the love affair will ever end. But while I was there for four days, I was a tourist through and through.

I wanted to get as much sightseeing as possible done in that period. I wasn’t content looking at the tall tree swaying in the evening mist – just outside my window.

I walked through the market place. But my eyes were searching for things to take home. I never even once thought of savoring the hustle-bustle around me, the slight nip in the air or the misty magical time as the evening descended on the valley.

I hurried in the direction of the hotel before the sunset – afterall, I wasn’t used to the cold. I never paused to watch as the valley below disappeared in the shroud of darkness.

In short, I wanted to do all the “tourist” things and ended up doing just that. In a way, I was right. Who knew if I will ever go that way again? I wanted to make sure I saw everything that was supposed to be seen and did everything that was supposed to be done.

But Neville Tuli has changed it all for me. Next time I go visit the Nilgiris (I hope to God it’s this year!), I am not going to think about the return flight to Mumbai. I am going to try and have the same room as last time and watch the valley wake up in the wee hours of the morning. I am going to stroll through the market place as if there’s no tomorrow. And I am going to walk back slowly to the hotel till the last of the Nilgiris disappears in the darkness.

I am going to be completely at home :-)

No comments: